Friday, August 5, 2011

Fricken. Huge. Bugs.

I had forgotten about this part of Korean summer, but now it's too hard for me to ignore. 매미 (cicada) are dominating the Korean airwaves 24 hours a day. Here's a vid I took this afternoon:


It sounds like I'm panting and that's because it's hooooooot! Today at my English camp we made pizza, and the combination of cooking + oppressive summer heat + 25 students and 2 teachers breathing made my classroom unbearable. I think I could cope better if Korea had more swimming pools or beaches. Korea, hop to it!

Here's the picture I promised to post. The shops around my school are piled high with nets and these boxes, so maemi catching seems to be a popular summer pastime in Buan. If you look at this pic using something other than an mp3 player or netbook, the bug is appearing on your screen life-size. Huuuuuuuge!

This monster eats NZ cicadas for breakfast. Then Korean children eat him for lunch.
(Not really.)

1 comment:

  1. Great video! I'm making a post on cicadas on my blog and I'm going to link to yours:)

    ReplyDelete